Active Vetcare referrals, based at Summerleaze Veterinary Hospital, offers referral services in a range of disciplines in purpose-built, state of the art premises. We offer an approachable, local referral service with emphasis on client care and communication with both the client and the referring veterinary surgeon.
We offer services in the following disciplines:
Laparoscopic (keyhole) neutering is offered for female dogs as an alternative to the conventional method of open abdominal surgery. We are also able to carry out laparoscopic exploratory surgery and biopsy of abdominal organs such as the liver.
There are many benefits to performing the surgery using this method including:
- Reduced pain due to smaller wounds and less trauma.
- Faster recovery with a quicker return to normal activity.
- Better visualisation of abdominal organs versus conventional method.
- Routinely carried out in humans as the gold standard method.
Soft tissue surgery
All areas covered including upper airway surgery, thoracic surgery and complex oncological reconstructive surgery. Soft tissue services are carried out by Samantha Marshall MA VetMB CetSAS MRCVS
Lameness investigation, fracture repair, developmental joint disease and cruciate disease management. Orthopaedic surgery is carried out by Samantha Marshall MA VetMB CetSAS MRCVS
Our separate surgical and diagnostic imaging suite offers the following state of the art facilities:
- High frequency digital X-ray with Bucky table.
- Video endoscopy.
- Colour Doppler ultrasound scanner.
- Full range of orthopaedic equipment with piped air for air driven equipment.
- Anaesthetic monitoring equipment including capnography, pulse oximetry, NIBP monitoring, core body temperature and ECG.
- “Bair Hugger” patient warmer.
- Blood transfusions.
Patients are cared for in a separate ward by dedicated nurses studying for their nursing diplomas. Dedicated night nurses allow care of critically ill patients and constant monitoring of patients post-surgery.
We have access to an in-house laboratory and are able to carry out a range of diagnostic tests including full biochemistry, haematology, electrolytes and T4. We are also able to carry out a range of specialist tests for emergency and critical care patient monitoring such as lactate and clotting times
Summerleaze Veterinary Hospital is part of the Pet Blood Bank Blood sharing scheme.
We are very happy to discuss cases with colleagues and give advice without referral please complete the online form below or call us on 01628 628121.